“The ABR Should Be the Foundation and Not Just a Designation” –Marki Lemons-Ryhal
I attend the REALTOR® Conference & Expo because I always learn something new that will change how I do business for the better. I had an “Aha” moment while attending the Accredited Buyer’s Representative® (ABR®) Instructor Recertification Training. The “Aha” was I have not marketed the ABR correctly in my marketplace for the past 10 years. Several brokerage (due to size) do not have the ability to implement “New Agent Training,” and the ABR® should be the training that REALTORS® complete immediately following New Member Orientation. The curriculum from the ABR answers over half the questions I receive from new agents who lack support and training.
Agents often harp on the fact that you need five closed buyers transactions to earn the ABR. Instead of the five transactions being an obstacle it should be positioned as a goal, “The ABR will aid you in closing five transactions if you take action.” I earned the ABR in 2004 (my first full calendar year as a broker). As a result, I closed 70 deals totaling over $12 million dollars in transactions in 2004.
Before I tell you the benefits let me lay out a few additional facts that demonstrate the value of the ABR:
- I did not take the pre-license course to get my broker’s license.
- I’ve never been an agent, and I came into the industry as a Broker/Owner.
- I did not receive formal company training until after I had closed over $30 million dollars in transactions.
- Before I received any formal company training, I had already earned the ABR®, ABRM, CRS, and CRB.
- My real estate career has been built on a foundation laid by certifications and designations of the National Association of REALTORS® and its affiliates.
Ten Insider Benefits
- Always save your designations and certification certificates as a photo (jpg) and load them to LinkedIn to provide social proof.
- Take your photos and create a video using Quik by GoPro. Highlight the benefits to the customer and client.
- Leverage the ABR® PowerPoint Template by saving it as photos and then posting the photos one at a time to Instagram.
- Coordinate with your local politicians to conduct a community Home Buyers Seminar and use the ABR Home Buyers Seminar Guide. I have conducted seminars with several Chicago Alderman and Senator Mattie Hunter.
- Break down the ABR® Home Buyer’s Toolkit into branded stock photos.
- Conduct a Facebook Live or webinar using the consumer one-sheets.
- Use the Today’s Buyer’s Rep Newsletter to create one week of social media content and include links to articles in your newsletters.
- Use the quote from the Today’s Buyer’s Rep Newsletter to share on social media. “Risk something or forever sit with your dreams.” –Herb Brooks
- If you combine the ABR® with the Profile of Buyers and Sellers, you can track what is trending to plan and not react.
- Plan for a successful real estate business. Brian Buffini stated, “Eight out of ten real estate agents won’t make it one year in the business.”